MM : 25 TIME : 45 min.
1. Write a chemical equation each to illustrate the following reaction;
(a) Aldol condensation reaction
(b) Cannizzaro reaction
(c) Rosenmund’s reaction
(d) Gattermann – Koch reaction
(e) Clemmensen reduction
2. Convert the following;
(a) Propanone to propene
(b) Propanal to butanone
(c) Benzoic acid to benzaldehyde
(d) Acetone to t-butyl alcohol
(e) Formaldehyde to urotropine
3. Give one chemical test to distinguish Propanal and diethyl ether.
4. Explain why formic acid is more stronger acid than acetic acid ?
5. Explain why carboxylic acid have higher boiling points than alcohols of comparable molecular masses?
6. Why carboxylic acid do not give the characteristic reaction of carbonyl group?
7. Arrange salicylic acid , p-hydroxybenzoic acid , m- hydroxybenzoic acid , benzoic acid in order of increasing acidic strength?
8. Give IUPAC name of Crotonaldehyde .
9. What is Grignard reagent ? How it is used to prepare tertiary butyl alcohol?
10. An alkyl halide when reacts with Aq. NaOH give ‘X’ “X’ in presence of Cu at 573 K gives ‘Y’. ‘Y’ in presence of conc. NaOH gives CH3OH + HCOONa